National Geographic News

Saturday, April 2, 2016

photos 3/30/16 MY STRANGE EXPERIENCE w/ a BARN OWL ON WAY TO FRANKLIN GRAHAM RALLY IN SACRAMENTO

see video at
SO I was heading up to sacramento from L.A. for the Decision America rally led by Billy Graham's son, Franklin. As I was driving along enjoying the scenery I saw this big bird by the side of the road, only a few feet from zooming 18-wheelers that could crush it in an instant...not normal for a bird to be so close to the road like that. so I pulled over and watched from afar for a few moments, then decided to walk closer ...thinking maybe it is hurt...; as I approached closer, normally a bird would sense the presence and quickly fly away, but it didn't move...as you can see in the video I walked around in front of it, getting closer & closer, clicking a little bit to see if it was sensible (ie had it senses)... still it didn't move. Finally, as I got almost to the point of being able to reach out and touch it, it appeared to "wake  up" (taking a nap?) and took off, seemingly ok. Realized it was a barn owl later on.